September marks the return to school for many families across the country. For some, it's a time of excitement and anticipation, while for others it can be a bit stressful. No matter what your back-to-school feels are, we've got some great tips to help you (and your kiddos) get back into the swing of things!
One of the best ways to ease back into the school year is to get organized. Once you've completed any school orientations or open houses, take some time to sit down with your child and review their schedule.
If they're old enough, help them create a daily or weekly planner so they can start getting used to keeping track of assignments and due dates. And get your calendar out too! You'll want to start marking down important dates like:
- Parent-teacher conferences
- Field trips
- Holidays and breaks
- Performances or sporting events
If your family didn't have many routines during the summer, now's the time to start implementing them. Having morning routines and set bedtimes can help everyone feel more in control and less stressed. If your children are used to being home alone after school, work with them to create a plan for what they should do (and not do) when you're not around.
Set Goals for the School Year
Success doesn't happen by accident. Help your child set goals for the school year, whether it's getting straight A's, making new friends or joining a club or sports team. As they work towards their goals, check in with them regularly to see how they're doing and offer encouragement.
Take this opportunity to lead by example and set your own goals too. Work together as a family to come up with some things you'd like to achieve this school year, whether it's eating healthier, being more environmentally-friendly or spending more time together. You can hold each other accountable and celebrate your successes together.
Make the Most of Homework Time
Homework time doesn't have to be a battle. Create a space that's conducive to concentration and focus, with plenty of light, comfortable seating and all the supplies your child needs within reach. You may already have a great place set up from the pandemic, when remote-learning became the norm. If not, now's the time to create a homework haven.
Some kids work best with background noise, while others need complete silence to focus. Figure out what works for your child and do your best to create an environment that allows them to thrive.
Settling into a New Neighborhood
If you've recently moved to a new town or city, back-to-school time can be especially challenging. In addition to getting your kids acclimated to their new school, you're also dealing with the logistics of settling into a new home.
Here are a few tips to make the transition a little smoother:
- Get to know your neighbors. Introduce yourself and your family and exchange contact information. It's always helpful to have a few friendly faces in your new neighborhood.
- Focus on one room at a time. When you're unpacking after a move, it can be tempting to try to do everything at once. But that can quickly lead to overwhelm. So take it one room (or even one drawer) at a time. You'll eventually get there and the process will be much less stressful.We hope these tips help you and your family get
- Find out where the closest parks, playgrounds, libraries and other kid-friendly places are. Our Area Resource Guide for new residents of Anne Arundel County is a great starting point.
- Look for after-school activities in the area. If your child is interested in joining a sports team or taking classes, check out what's available through community ed or local recreation departments.
- Join a local parent group. There are often Facebook groups for parents in specific neighborhoods or school districts. These can be a great way to get information, advice and support from other parents who are going through the same thing.
If you didn't find your dream home during the summer months, it's not too late! Sturbridge Homes is now selling townhomes at The Towns at Parke West, our newest community in Anne Arundel County. With spacious floor plans, designer finishes and a great location near shopping, dining and entertainment, it's the perfect place to call home. Contact us today for more information or to schedule a tour.